So I met Grant Morrison yesterday...

And it was so. Damn. Awesome! I've been a huge fan of The Invisibles since I was a snotty teenager, so when I heard he was doing a signing at Forbidden Planet, I knew I had to go. The queue almost snaked around the back of the building, but I still stood there, for over two hours, weighed down by my bag containing all seven Invisibles volumes, a bottle of water and a banana.


Time was when the staff at Forbidden Planet were nice and friendly people, but times have obviously changed. They kept shouting at us as we queued that you were only allowed to have three items signed, and "one of them should ideally be Supergods" - no joke, that's an actual quote. Supergods is his new book, and it's a massive £20 hardback, so obviously that wasn't going to happen. 


Once it was my turn, I pretended I only wanted one book signed, but after chatting to Grant a bit (and he is the loveliest, most genuine person I have ever met), I asked him if he'd sign them all, and said it would mean so much to me if he could. "Of course," he said, "Just dig 'em out!" One of the queue trolls jumped in and started barking at me  - did I have any idea how long the queue was, and no, I couldn't possibly have more than four items signed. And then I turned to him, gave him my coldest stare and said, "I think that's for Mr. Morrison to decide, don't you?" 


To which Grant Morrison went, "Oooh!" in a rather approving sort of way. And then he said, "I will sign them all - because it's you, Gwen." And sign them he did, and we chatted some more, and it was just the most amazing thing ever. And I am one happy, happy bunny. 




1 comment:

  1. Such mega jealousy! And you are so awesome for telling that troll to fuck off ;)

    ReplyDelete