Subversive action.

Late last year, my friend Aashild invited me to, ahem, "go shopping in her closet". One of the things she gave me was this military jacket. And since I'm not really a very militant person, but love the cut and colour, I decided to subvert it a little. Hence this.


Let's pretend some army dude was wearing this while he got drunk. Eventually, he would pass out, reeking of alcohol. And a hippie dude, smelling of interesting herbs, would sneak up to him, "liberating" him of the jacket. He'd talk to it as he carried it away to his trailer, which he'd painted with daisies and slogans, saying things like, "I can see the true potential in you jacket - and I will set the real you free!" So I put peace flag buttons on an army jacket. They only had three in the shop, but that means I can finally close the thing (top button was missing) so that's okay with me. I can wait two weeks for them to restock. I'm just happy the jacket looks that bit closer to what it looked like in my head when I first pictured this.


Also, I wore this dress with my brand new yellow tights that I bought for it. That's right, the dress told me it needed yellow tights, and I listened. It's also told me to kill everyone, but I'm holding off on that.


Now, while I was wearing this, and looking like I ran away from the set of some 40's wartime drama, I spotted a girl who was dressed exactly like my friend Ruby would dress. And I always thought my friend's style was really unique, but this girl... this girl wore an oversized jacket over a short dress, similar style jewellery, chunky boots, damn near identical watch, she even had similar colour hair - though her hair was a more orangey red. "Fake Ruby," I thought, and I may have glared at her menacingly. The nerve of some people, eh?


Finally, here's an accidental self portrait from this afternoon - this is me wearing my Asia lipstick and a necklace Maike gave me for Christmas. The necklace was the final drop in making this outfit wannabe 40's. It's one long, long chain, so I have to loop it or risk smacking myself in the face with it when I run for the bus. I just need to make a petticoat to wear under this dress, and then the time-warp will be complete. I've never made a petticoat before, though, so that could take a while. 

1 comment:

  1. YES to yellow tights! they are perfect! i have a pair i dont wear often enough. they are adorable on you!

    ReplyDelete